Jackie was just speeding away. Thought she was James Dean for a day...
One of the best things I have done for myself in 2020 is standing up for myself more.
I have learned to say "no". I have learned to put boundaries on people, friendships, etc.
I have called people out for hurting me, or showing signs of disrespect.
I have put limits and boundaries on people.
How does this make me feel? Strong. Happy. Powerful.
Examples:
Friend from high school gets drunk then publicly airs my personal business on fb. I called him out, told him he embarrassed me. His response? "I was drunk." Drunk or not--no. Just no. I need time. I need space.
An old flame who broke my heart a decade ago tells me he regrets hurting me. He wasn't in the right place in his life to be dating me, I asked why didn't he just leave me alone instead of stringing me along? "I wanted my cake and to eat it, too." I thanked this person for the decade-too-long-closure, put boundaries on our friendship, and moved on.
Person I grew up with, dated briefly, he ended it, married the woman and had children with her. Now, divorced, tells me he loves me, it was supposed to be me, etc. Move along, bub.
_____________________________________________________________________________
I can go on and on, because there are more examples. Bottom line, its ok to put boundaries and limits on people. The ones who love you for exactly who you are will respect you and love you anyway.
Cheers to making 2020 happen.
Comments
Post a Comment